Welcome to the Newham and University of East London Swimming Club Website
The Newham and University of East London Swimming Club is a competitive swimming club that competes in a number of open competitions.
The Club is supported by the London Borough of Newham and by the Jack Petchey foundation, and partners with UEL Sports and British Swimming.
We hope that we have been able to provide any information that you require in order to find out about our Club in these pages. However, if you are interested in joining, or have any further questions after visiting our website, please send an email to: email@example.com in the first instance.
We look forward to seeing you soon!
Information and standards required of swimmers wishing to join the Newham and University of East London Swimming Club
Newham and University of East London Swimming Club (NUELSC) is a competitive club so trials are held at East Ham Leisure Centre for anyone wishing to join the club. Anyone who believes him or herself to be capable of the standards listed below is able to ask for a trial.
For those currently on a Learn to Swim programme in Newham or another borough, entry to the Club would be on successful completion of a minimum of Stage 7 of the National Plan for Teaching Swimming (NPTS), or more usually recommendation by a school or a GLL swimming teacher on completion of Stage 8. Whichever path you take, you will need to attend a trial to be considered for joining the Club.
Note: Please visit the Swimfit Plus link on our website for entry standards for our fitness squads – the newest section of the club incorporating Masters/Adult fitness swimmers (aged 15 and over) and includes swimmers interested in taking on challenge events such as Great British Swim, Sport Relief, etc. There is a separate section for younger swimmers (aged 15 and under) who wish to swim for fitness and social reasons and who may prefer not to take part in open swimming competitions, or for those who wish to take a break from competitions.
All trials are held at East Ham Leisure Centre at 7.00 pm, every Friday. Email Holly Richards, Head Coach, in advance if you would like to attend.
For entry to the Newham and University of East London Swimming Club swimmers must be able to:
- swim 200 metres (8 lengths) using freestyle (often called front crawl), backstroke and breaststroke
- swim using good technique and complete each length without stopping
- demonstrate a basic knowledge of butterfly.
- complete 4 lengths in each of front crawl, backstroke and breaststroke in under 1 minute per length, using only legs to propel themselves
- swim 8 x 1 length on a drill as instructed set by coach, e.g freestyle using a single arm.
- swim 2 continuous lengths in 1 minute 45 seconds in each of freestyle, backstroke and breaststroke
All swimmers must use the correct swim wear, as follows
- Boy’s swimming trunks, not shorts or beach wear, and swimming hat.
- Girl’s one piece swimming costume and swimming hat
- goggles (compulsory)
All other equipment required for the trial, e.g. floats, will be provided.
If you do not attend with the correct swim wear, you will not be able to take part in the trial.