Do you want to:
- Get fit?
- Improve your swimming skills?
- Improve your health?
- Look good?
- Have fun?
- Make friends?
In April 2014, Newham and UEL Swimming Club launched the newest section of the Club – “SwimFit Plus”. These sessions are coached swimming sessions aimed at non-performance swimmers – or performance swimmers stepping back from training commitments, for example during exam periods. We aim to attract masters, triathlon and other athletes, who want to swim; open water specialists, recreational, keep fit and health swimmers who meet Club standards.
There are sections for pre-teens (Junior Swimfitplus) and Age 16+ /Adults (Senior Swimfitplus).
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQs):
Q. What type of swimmers are there in Swimfit Plus?
A. Swimfit Plus is for recreational and keep-fit swimmers; anyone who enjoys swimming, wants to improve their technique and can meet minimum standards. Members also include performance swimmers stepping back from training commitments (for example, during exam periods), masters, triathlon and other athletes who want to swim, open water specialists and health swimmers.
Sessions address the different needs of those attending. The Coach will find out what each swimmer’s objectives are and give them a plan to work on, which may include non-swimming (e.g. gym work).
Q. How do I join?
A. To join, just email the coaching team at email@example.com to arrange a free trial swim. If you meet minimum standards (subject to coach approval) and want to join, you then complete an application form and set up an arrangement to pay for your membership. Membership must be paid in advance, by monthly standing order, and is based on 12 monthly payments per annum.
Q. How much does it cost?
A. £42 per month (Seniors) or £40 per month (Junior), payable in advance on the 1st of each month by standing order (plus annual ASA registration fee). See the Current Membership Fees for further information and registration details.
Q. What are the entry standards?
A. All swimmers must be able to:
- Swim 3 out of 4 strokes (freestyle, backstroke, breaststroke or butterfly).
- Swim continuous 100 metres (4 lengths of a 25m pool).
- Swim using good technique and complete lengths without stopping.
- Complete at least 1 length of freestyle, backstroke, breaststroke or butterfly in less than 1 minute
Everyone will be entitled to a free diagnostic trial, so even if you don’t immediately meet SwimFit Plus standards you will be given an improver plan to get you there.
There are training options available for ‘Masters’ competitive swimmers; please refer to the Membership section and Squad Criteria for more information.
Q. Where and when do they train?
A. There are currently 4 sessions a week. You can attend as many sessions as you like, however, there are NO refunds or reductions if you swim a reduced number of sessions.
The variety of pools allows the SwimfitPlus sessions to run enjoyable but challenging coached sessions aimed at skills improvement, speed development, strength training and endurance, incorporating the use of pool training equipment such as fins, paddles, kick floats and pullbuoys – “like a gym session, but more interesting”.
As SwimFit Plus develops we may be able put on more sessions at different times. If you would like an early morning swim it may be possible to join the Performance Squad on Mondays from 05.30 – 07.00 at East Ham Leisure Centre. Please contact the Coach at firstname.lastname@example.org in advance.
Q. Are there any social events connected with SwimFit?
A. We hope an active social scene will develop. This will be down to the members but the Club will actively encourage it. There are SwimfitPlus challenge events that you are encouraged to enter – see the tab for the latest updates – and if there is a challenge that you have heard about that you think would interest other Swimfit Plus swimmers, email the coach to let us know about it.
Q. Can you give me directions to East Ham Leisure Centre pool?
A. The address for East Ham Leisure Centre is 324 Barking Rd, London E6 2RT. To reach the pool, if you are coming by public transport, take the District Line to East Ham and turn left when you exit the station. Walk along the High Street (about 5/10 mins depending on how busy) and at the traffic lights on Barking Road, cross over to continue eastwards alongside the Town Hal. The entrance to the leisure centre is behind the large gates (through the car-park gates if open) or walk a few steps further for access via the Library forecourt and through the leisure centre car-park. A number of TFL buses stop at the leisure centre complex. There is limited car-parking at the leisure centre (disabled bays available), with council car-parks located within walking distance – currently free on Sundays and after 6.30pm on weekdays.
SWIMMING NEWS AND EVENTS
- In March 2014, the Aquatics Centre at the Olympic Park opened to the general public – we hope that you will make use of the pool from its opening and on into the future to help ensure that the facilities become a proud Olympic Legacy in Newham for many years to come. Use your Swimfit coaching to set yourself a target: for example, how many lengths of the Competition Pool can you complete in one hour? Too easy? Do you think you could manage a 5K swim? Sport Relief and Swimathon annual charity fundraising swim events, with swimmers completing 5K individual or team events, are held at the London Aquatic Centre each year since 2014 – get into training now and you could be part of next year’s events.
- In addition, the London Aquatics Centre hosts events throughout the year, including introductory events to Triathlon and Aquathlon (Go-TRI) – visit the website ‘What’s On’ page regularly for upcoming events at http://www.londonaquaticscentre.org/events
- Fancy a bit of adventure? What about trying an open water swim? The Great London Swim – Newham takes place in mid-July swimming one mile (distance equivalent to 64 lengths of a 25-metre pool) – an excellent motivator to focus your pool-training over the Spring. So if you are looking for the best time in London wearing a wetsuit, look no further than the Great Newham London Swim. You get cheered on as if you are doing the London Marathon, but it’s not so far!! Training with SwimfitPlus will help you to work on your weak points, strengthen your strong points and raise your confidence. Visit the Great Swim website for ongoing event information and sign up to SwimfitPlus with Newham & UEL SC to achieve your goals … we look forward to swimming with you.
- OUR PARKS – GET FIT FOR FREE – Free coach-led fitness classes taking place in nearby parks, open spaces and public buildings every day of the week – http://www.ourparks.org.uk
- parkrun – Free 5K timed runs in local parks at 9am on Saturdays – http://www.parkrun.org.uk/
Finally, if you hear of any other swimming challenge events coming up that might be of interest to Swimfit Plus users, please email us at email@example.com.
NB. Swimmers and participants take part in external activities at their own risk.